Landscape & Garden Resources
Landscape & Garden Resources
Plants & Materials
The following nurseries and companies offering other landscape supplies partner with The Water Conservation Garden to provide the necessary materials to create a beautiful, water-wise garden. Members of The Water Conservation Garden receive a 10-20% discount on purchases at the following retailers.
- Anderson’s La Costa Nursery and Design Center
- Barrels and Branches Nursery
- Cuyamaca College Nursery
- El Plantio Nursery & Landscaping
- Hunter’s Nursery
- Kniffing’s Nurseries
- Mission Hills Nursery
- Rancho Valhalla Nursery
- The Madd Potter
Sources for Other Nurseries in Southern California
- Additional Nurseries that Carry Water-Smart Plants
- Mulch and Compost: Contact Miramar Greenery for free mulch and compost
- California-Friendly Plant List—Listed by Common Name
- California-Friendly Plant List—Listed by Botanical Name
- Fire Safe Council San Diego County
- Guide to Staying Safe During Wildfires
- Ready San Diego: Wild Fire
- Ready for Wildfire – One Less Spark One Less Wildfire
- San Diego County Wildfire Creating Defensible Space
- San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Brush Management and Weed Abatement
- California Landscape Contractors Association
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers
- Landscape Designers and Landscape Architects who give advice at Garden events
- Water Managers Certified by the California Landscape Contractors Association
- Wild Made Design
- Catching H20
Below are resources the Water Conservation Garden has compiled to those who seek assistance with water conservation and water-wise landscaping. The Garden is not responsible for any of these programs or resources, and cannot assure customer satisfaction.
Water Conservation Garden members receive free or discounted admittance to gardens across the country. Please visit our Membership page for more information about the benefits of becoming a member of The Water Conservation Garden.
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- San Diego Botanic Garden
- Casa Romantica Cultural Center and Gardens
- Sherman Library & Gardens
- Wrigley Memorial Botanic Garden
- UC Riverside Botanic Gardens
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
- More Reciprocal Gardens
Clubs and Societies
- California Native Plant Society, San Diego Chapter
- Composting: Solana Center for Environmental Innovation
- San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society
- San Diego Horticultural Society
- Master Gardener Association of San Diego 858-694-2960, Monday-Friday, 9am to 3pm, focus is on vegetables, fruits, ornamentals and pest management.
- UCCE Master Gardener of Orange County 714-708-1646 or email@example.com (leave a message and the call will be returned within seven days, usually much sooner).
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden 909-624-0838. Leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible. Focus is on native plants.
Other Gardening and Conservation/Sustainability Organizations
- A Growing Passion, a TV show on KPBS hosted by Nan Sterman that celebrates all the ways that San Diego “grows,” from farms and nurseries to backyards and schoolyards, to native habitats and more.
- American Public Gardens Association
- California Invasive Plant Council
- Center for Sustainable Energy
- Global Water Partnership
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego
- San Diego Natural History Museum
- The Mulch
- San Diego Audubon Society
- I Love a Clean San Diego
- Project Wildlife
- San Diego Coastkeeper
- San Diego Surfrider Foundation
- ThinkBlue San Diego
Metropolitan Water District Rebate Information
San Diego County Water Authority Programs and Incentives available through your local water agencies.
Water Agency Online Resources
San Diego County Water Authority
SDCWA partners with member agencies and stakeholders to meet the region’s water supply needs. This website is a comprehensive resource for homeowners, businesses, HOAs, the public sector and teachers and students to learn about making smart choices to reduce water use.
State of California
Efficient water management and use are critical for all California residents, agencies, and businesses.
Save Our Water
Save Our Water is a program created by the Association of California Water Agencies and the California Department of Water Resources to help Californians reduce everyday water use. It offers news, tips, rebate options and other resources for the general public.
Water-Use it Wisely
This nonprofit looks to help individuals save water by providing helpful tips and resources. This website offers a few great resources, such as water conservation games for kids and more than 100 conservation ideas.
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a regional water provider for Southern California. This website provides a comprehensive water conservation guide for individuals, including tips, news, rebate information and local water agency links.
City of San Diego Water Conservation Program
Waste No Water is an initiative created by the City of San Diego’s Public Utilities Branch. The website provides rebate information, water restriction information and water conservation related contests for various age levels.
Tips, Tools & Tutorials
Books & Articles
Modernism Meets Desertscaping, The Landscape Design Revolution of Palm Springs, by Clayton Tschudy
Recommended Books (Available in Gift Shop)
“California Getting Started Garden Guide” by Bruce and Sharon Asakawa
“California Native Plants for the Garden” by Carol Bornstein, David Fross, and Bart O’Brien
“California Wildfire Landscaping” by Maureen Gilmer
“More Beauty, Less Water” by Pam Meisner
“The New Sunset Western Garden Book: The Ultimate Gardening Guide”
“Square Foot Gardening with Kids” by Mel Bartholomew
“Tomatomania” by Scott Daigre and Jean Garbee
Water Agency Contact Information
City of San Diego Water Department
600 B Street, Suite 1210
San Diego, CA 92101
Helix Water District
7811 University Ave.
La Mesa, CA 91941
Otay Water District
2554 Sweetwater Springs Blvd.
Spring Valley, CA 91978-2096
San Diego County Water Authority
4677 Overland Ave.
San Diego, CA 92123
505 Garrett Ave.
P.O. Box 2328
Chula Vista, CA 91912